VCU Remembers 9/11 with ‘I Will’ Pledges

October 11, 2011

By Nikia Whigham
VCU InSight

RICHMOND, Va. – The Student Government Association at Virginia Commonwealth University commemorated the 10th anniversary of 9/11 through the national “I Will: Join the 9/11 Tribute Movement.”

Students, faculty and staff, and members of the VCU community made “I Will” pledges on yellow sticky notes. The notes were placed on the windows of the University Student Commons.

Johnathan Hoggatt, a VCU student and Army veteran, said he would continue volunteering at the United Service Organization, or USO, to help soldiers at home and abroad.

“I pledge to volunteer my time and help the ones that are coming in and out of this state and going in and out of this country to go play in the sandbox across the pond,” Hoggatt said.

The movement launched on the Monroe Park Campus Sunday, Sept. 11, 2011 on the Commons Plaza and lasted until Thursday, Sept. 15.

Chris Matthews, a sophomore planning to major in business, wrote a statement of gratitude.

Matthews said, “The man who turned my life around, married my mom, and took us in, also served our country and did a good job at doing it so I just want to say thank you.”

Over five days VCU students, faculty and staff made a total of 603 pledges to community service, acts of kindness and encouraging words.